Ermenegildo Zegna is a well known Italian fashion brand that has been in the business for close to a hundred years. This well known brand was founded in 1910 by the Zegna family, which is where it got its name from. As of today, the fourth generation of the same family is managing this reputed brand. The Ermenegildo Zegna Group has been leading in the production of fine men's clothing that has been worn by users all over the world.
Ermenegildo Zegna was founded in Trivero, Italy, in 1910. Ermenegildo's sons later joined the company in 1942 when it was renamed to Ermenegildo Zegna and Sons. By the year 1955, they had over 1400 employees and their number was increasing. Zegna was quickly gaining a reputation of producing high quality wool suits that were worn and distributed all over the world. Despite having difficulties in 1938, when it was hard to export their suits to the United States, they managed to pass this difficult phase and continued to gain a high share of the fashion industry.
Ermenegildo's sons Aldo and Angelo took over when their father died. Once they were in control, they made sure that they would launch a line of ready-made suits that were produced in Zegna's very own factory. These factories were opened in 1973 in Spain and in 1975 in Greece. As time went by, the number of factories kept on increasing and another factory was opened in Switzerland (1977) and it employed over 900 workers (this number is much higher today). Due to its ever increasing market share and the rise in demand of their products, they were forced to open many new manufacturing plants. By 1999 there were 8 factories operational in Italy, three in Switzerland, two in Spain, one in Mexico and one in Turkey.
Apart from factories, Zegna also has boutiques. The first boutique was opened in the fashion capital of the world, Paris, in 1980. Seeing the success of this boutique, another one was opened in Milan (1985). By the end of 2007, the company had over 500 boutiques all over the world. Most of these are located in the United States and Europe where demand has been on the rise. However, they have other huge stores in well known cities, such as New York, Boston, Las Vegas, London, Milan, Tokyo, Hong Kong, Bangkok and Mumbai.
Ermenegildo Zegna is the leader in producing fine men's clothing. With a yearly output of over 2 million meters of fabric, they produce over 600,000 sleeve units and 1 million sportswear items that are worn by everyone. With staff employment at over 7000 worldwide, it has achieved a turnover and sales which were worth over 600 million Euros. This figure from 2003 shows that 85% of the revenue earned is derived from clothing and accessories related to it, while the other 15% is from the textile industries.
The development that Ermenegildo Zegna has been part of over a number of years started with acquiring and buying Lanerie Agnona S.p.A in 1999 and in mid 2002, they took control of a well-known leather trademark which goes by the name of Guida. In late 2002, they even set up a company known as ZEFER which was a joint venture with Salvatore Ferragamo. Ermenegildo Zegna has also moved into the Chinese market by acquiring 50% of the SharMoon company which produces high quality men's suits.
Ermenegildo Zegna is known to be the biggest buyer of fine Australian Merino wool. The company has also encouraged others into purchasing this wool and even rewarded the Australian wool industry. Due to this amazing relationship between Zegna and Australia, the former Prime Minister of Australia, Paul Keating, was seen wearing a double-breasted suit manufactured by Ermenegildo Zegna. He was criticized by the Labor Party as Paul was going against the tradition of Australian Prime Ministers, because all of them were supposed to wear suits made by Anthony Squires.
Zegna suits are known to be for the high-end consumers who can afford to purchase high quality suits. The wool suits manufactured by Ermenegildo Zegna are known to be in the $2300 to $4500 price range. The well-known 'Su Misura' suit can be ordered in any Zegna shop. These suits are only produced after an appointment is made with one of the Zegna tailors. On average, hese custom-made suits cost about 15 to 20% more than the standard suits available. The tailors at Ermenegildo Zegna claim that they can produce suits, shirts, jackets, trousers and any other piece of clothing the client wants in any size, design and color in a couple of weeks.
Ermenegildo Zegna is a brand that has been offering fine quality suits and clothing apparel to customers for over 100 years. The quality of these products has been increasing every year and the demand for these goods has also been increasing. Ermenegildo Zegna employs over 7000 workers and has revenues of over $700 million. With the speed at which they are developing, it is quite possible that the revenues will continue to increase and increase.